PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Neil Duncan Robertson v. Her Majesty's Advocate
Old 17th Mar 2004, 00:10
OFBSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fear that statistics show that the most likely thing that abuse victims will achieve in their lives is to abuse others.
I think you have things turned around somewhat. It is probably true that most abusers have been abused. It is certainly not true that most abused become abusers.

Statistics about the frequency of abuse are rather dodgy. I know a woman who is a clinical psychologist who specializes in sexual abuse. IIRC, she told me that something on the order of 1/4 of woman have been sexually abused and something on the order of 1/10 boys have been sexually abused.

Yes, the scars do last forever. No, it doesn't necessarily mean that they can't live relatively happy, productive lives.

A life sentence should mean a life sentence, not five years off there for this & ten years for there for that, that makes a joke of the whole Judicial system IMHO.
It is my impression that in the UK, a "life" sentence can result in release in 15 years or less. Is that true?

Here in the colonies, at least in my state, a life sentence is simply that, life behind bars with no parole: the only way out is in a box.