PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 19:38
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Maggie and Falcon (MMMmmm!!)

Firstly JDK - thanks for the Duxford Maggie pics - an exquisite restoration which is the more the pity it isn't a flier.

Secondly - MotF - thanks for coming over last night and poring over the pile of papers and photos - of which these are just a tiny selection. Not all bad though - the Hook Norton Bitter followed by the side-splitting 'Kevin and Perry Go Large' (Bangin'!!) rounded off the evening nicely.

So -

Photo 1 - A fascinating logbook entry in respect of the work required to repair the Magister following a landing accident on May 22nd 1955. The new CofA was issued in September 56.
Read para 7 and try not to chuckle! Out of context or what?! Same broom but with several replacement handles and heads over the years!
Photo 2 - Not sure but probably the 1958 Kings Cup in which the aircraft came 3rd.
Photo 3 - Foulsham 1961.
Photo 4 - Just a couple of years later and already a wingless derelict hulk - probably taken at Barrards Hill, Hadleigh.
Photo 5 - A tantalising ad in The Aeroplane, June 1936.
Photo 6 - A wonderful photo which can be dated and placed exactly. It was taken at an event in Norkopping on May 23rd 1937. The Falcon - then SE-AFN - was entered for a navigational competition. Note the Swastika fluttering in the background! I have an original programme of the event, courtesy of my dear friend Fredric Lagerquist. Fred got hold of all these old Swedish pictures for me. The hangar survives - we reenacted the scene, alas not with the other aircraft in the picture - all long since dead.
Photo 7 - Operated as an air taxi and light freighter by Nordisk Aerotjanst and named 'Kolmarden', the aircraft flew on skis in the winter to take advantage of the thousands of lakes in Sweden. In March 1938 a tragedy occurred when the aircraft landed on a lake in Salen and hit a lady walking across the lake from market to home, killing her instantly...
Photo 8 - Probably taken in the same year, the younger guy is probably the pilot/ owner K E Sandberg who learned to fly in 1936 at Woodley, bought the aircraft, flew it to Sweden and then immediately began flying it for a living!
Photo 9 - My aircraft in Swedish military sevice at Barkaby, Stockholm having been impressed. It operated continously as a 'type 7 light transport' until a lack of spares caused it to be sold in 1944. Interestingly enough, when I flew the aircraft back to Barkaby in 02, I parked next to a Leapord Moth that was powered by the exact same engine that mine left the factory with in '36!
Photo 10 - Taken in the late 50's
Photo 11 - A prized photo, for it shows the Falcon at Lymne on July 27th 1961. The bird returns home! The Swedish Authorities decreed that old wooden planes were unsafe and could not fly in Swedish airspace any more until completely overhauled by the original manufacturers. An onerous task that Ake Laurell (still flying in Sweden to this day!) decided to explore. Alas, the cost was out of all proportion to the value of his beloved aircraft and it languished at Miles, Shoreham for a couple of years until sold - for ten quid it is rumoured!. I had the honour of re-unting Ake with his aircraft and took him for a flight. I'm sure I saw a tear in his eye (and that was well after my landing!)

Treasured aircraft that I am priviledged to be the temporary custodian of, fly and share with you.

Want to see more?! MotF has loads! You post em, I'll annotate them as best I can.

All the best

HP