PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dive and Drive?
Thread: Dive and Drive?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 17:37
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's new...give it a chance

The VNAV approach profiles have been out for only a short time. There are many restrictions disigned to prevent errors until all is sorted out. It seems if one stays within the operating limitations imposed by company, it is a better way to fly a non-precision approach.

The details of why the VNAV or autothrottles do something, or do not do something is available. It is mandatory reading at my company.

Airbubba wrote, "Some of the Boeings have a bad habit of entering go around mode at MDA (or whatever it's called these days) if you forget to reenter the runway in the box at the right place when building the approach manually."

I'm not allowed to build or change fixes that are located inside the FAF. However, it is understood that if I get to the EOD (End of Descent Point) and the next fix is the missed approach holding fix, I am certain that the autothrottles will reposition for the missed approach. That is the next phase of flight programmed in the FMC for this procedure. It is more likely that the EOD is the runway. In either case, this is plain to see on the legs page.

As time goes on, and these VNAV approaches are practiced at different locations, a better understanding of "what's it doing now" can be attained. It has been difficult to leave the dive & drive that has worked so well for so long. I am willing to give VNAV a shot, and I am willing to spend the time improving my understanding of all of the pieces of the system.

Last edited by None; 17th Mar 2004 at 01:40.