PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting First Job , is it easy ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 17:17
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Oh I wanted to add some more little points.
You are being watched all the time. No, not in a "Big Brother" way but by your instructors, theory instructors, fellow pilots every one. What you want is for as many of them as possible to say "good person, easy to get on with, works hard, knows his/her stuff, trustworthy". I have had more than one instructor (theory and otherwise) say to me "If you need a contact in ***, let me know, I'll put in a word for you". This sort of thing is vital.
However, don't get slack now and think you don't need to work for that interview.
It doesn't matter what job you are going for, a C206 job carting indigenous folk around or corporate 737. You must prepare for it and take the preparation seriously.

Know the company and it's niche. (where does it operate etc) (Their websites are very useful for that)
Competition and challenges for that company.
Know the fleet. If you have time on their aircraft of choice, expect questions on them.
Know the type you are currently flying now. (if not currently flying, grab an hour in something relevant) General stuff, how much oil, fuel etc. You are now a professional, you should know your tools of your trade.
Be expected to be asked questions about privileges and limitations of your lic/rating. If never asked, know them any way.
Have all your documentation current. Lic, medical, any thing else you'll need. (eg in Oz, Dangerous goods certificate, useful = First aid certificate, bus driver lic, language skills very useful)
The boss's name. Owner's name if different.
Fleet ops manager's name. You get the idea.

Practice practice practice.
Grab a mate in a similar or better position than you (ie working). Get him/her to run interview scenarios. You want to be relaxed with your answers but not too rehearsed. Some humour is ok but be careful with it.
Eg, I was asked in an interview "Do I drink alcohol?" [hello! Australian!!] I answered "No more than the average airline pilot"
Fortunately, they liked the answer - but - I knew the company wasn't mega strict like that.
If psychometric tests are used practice them.
If sim checks are used get some time on something similar if you can. (Or fly raw data etc)
Note, it is possible to screw up the interview by being rude to the secretary. Well, you thought she was the secretary but she's actually the CEO... You get my drift.

Good luck. The training is comparatively easy. The getting the first and subsequent jobs is much harder.