PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 15:46
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No apologies needed Shy. I agree with what has been said.

I will, if I may, take a quick moment to point out that just occasionally one decent chap slips through the net.

That chap is James Arbuthnot MP.

Initially he was a strong supporter of the negligence verdict. However, following a meeting with Capt. John Cook (Rick's father), James went off and did a little more independent research. He subsequently stood up during a Parliamentary debate on the Chinook accident and admitted he had been wrong, and that his opinion had now changed in support of the campaign. He also apologised for his initial stance. A most unusual and courageous Parliamentary occurrence.

He is now the current Chair of the Mull of Kintyre Group.

With regard the campaign, we are currently in the planning stage for the forthcoming tenth anniversary of the accident. Details will be made available as and when things have been confirmed.

That said, it is worth pointing out at this early stage, that all arrangements for the tenth anniversary will be related to the memories of 29 lost souls and their families, and not a campaign issue. The two, in my humble opinion, should remain separate.

Early Day Motion 371 has continued to collect signatures, and I am delighted to inform you all that it currently has a grand total of 152 signatures, with a further 18 signatures against the amendment. As I have said many a time, thank you so much to each and every one of you for your support.

Nearly ten years on and to still have this much support is clear testimony to the level of feeling of the injustice of the verdict. The MoD and Government should really take the hint. The campaign will not cease until this terrible wrong has been addressed and corrected.

My very best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook