PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 16th Mar 2004, 14:36
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are very easy solutions to the Carb ht/mixture confusion.
1. why don't schools buy wallsize cockpit posters (about 10 quid) and make people study them, a poor man version of the airline cockpit mockups.
2. Drive up to your airfield one bad weather day when nobody is flying and sit in the cockpit and study the panel, it's free of charge.
3. If you can't do any of the above, you can create your own homemade cockpit CBT program. Go to airliners.net or any similar website and you'll find loads of cockpit photos of the aircraft you fly. Those of you flight sim fans can download some realistic panels of the web.
These three methods have worked for me and i've never pulled the wrong lever.
My scariest flight was a solo XC from Leicester-w/waltham. Tuned to east mids instead of brize radar (forgot to press the flipflop button) , then tuned to Brize only to discover the frequency had changed (lesson no.2 always check notams/ammendments). When i contacted Brize, atc informed me of multiple fast jets in my vicinity as well as a glider and a 152 doing aeros. My workload was so high i began to drift of course, when Brize warned me of RAF benson Matz 2nm in front of me. I then asked for a frequency change called w/waltham an go lost abeam wycombe or there abouts, then a PA-28 flew over me at no more than 50ft, i saw the passegers head. I circled for a while lost track of altitude (down to about 500agl) and then finally saw the TV mast at stoken church. On the return journey on startup i realised i didn't reset my xpondr when i left brize radar . The journey back wasn't to bad till i saw a glider in front of me as i overtook it to the right it did a steep right climbing turn straight into my path . Damn gliders.
capt m