PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain fighter ace
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 12:41
Another Pat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm the BBC producer who wrote the piece about Eric Lock.

As an amateur mil history researcher, the idea of finding Eric Lock's Spitfire has also crossed my mind, but not sure quite how to go about it.

For a start, I could find very little information other than his aircraft went missing over the Pas de Calais and the date, 3rd August 1941.

Personally, I think it's a tragedy that Lock has no grave, yet it can't be that difficult to find him.

The Luftwaffe kept records on Allied aircraft that crashed in 'their' territory and there can't have been too many crashing in that area on that day. Also, it's my suspicion that the wreck, assuming it came down on land, must be located in countryside, as any post war development would have unearthed it.

I'd be most interested in hearing from any of you who get anywhere with this, as I'd like to bring 'closure' to the story, especially while Eric Lock's sisters are still alive.

And while I'm here, I'm also researching for a series of features on Shropshire's WWII training airfields, and any extra info or contacts you may have would be handy.

You can email me from my profile, or reply here.

Cheers,

Pat