PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot blamed for fatal crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 03:44
prospector

Lethalweapon
I would like to differ from your post. I agree entirely with the report as written. Before any comment can be made regarding this occurence considerable experience must be held operating as single pilot IFR. An ILS down to minimums, handflying from raw data, is not an easy exercise. It would appear that the pilot was behind the play before the approach proper even commenced. This could be due to a number of reasons. Total IFR experience was certainly not great, currency certainly left a lot to be desired. Any distraction from a cellphone call, at the logged time, would certainly have created major situational awareness problems at a time when there is no room for any loss of concentration. To bring in an argument that a GPS was being used as a primary approach aid rather than the ILS is only supposition. If it was it is inexcusable, as stated neither system was approved for IFR ops. And I agree going below MDA is inexcusable.
To my mind, the fact that one person wore so many caps in the Company is the prime cause of the occurence. One should not have to worry about the cost of a missed approach, flight to the alternate, alternate transport or accommodation for the pax whilst carrying out a difficult approach single pilot. That these factors must have been given undue weight at this time would perhaps be why the nav aids (ADF's) were not even tuned to carry out a missed approach, which, with the actual Wx must always have been a distinct possibility.

Prospector