PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - yet another questioin about FAA to JAA conversion
Old 15th Mar 2004, 18:33
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct. The ATPL exam distance learning course will cost around £2000, you are required to attend a compulsory 2 week course as well before you take the exams. The CAA exams cost £55 per paper, and there are 14 exams and budget £120 per week accomodation for the two week course. The exams are normally done in two sections, so you have 4 weeks to pay for.

The JAA CPL has to be renewed (annually I think) by flight test, the JAA IR has to be renewed annually by flight test, the JAA ME rating has to be renewed annually by flight test.

So unless you really want to fly for a living, then (as far as I'm concerned) holding a JAA CPL/IR is not really an option or worth while. Get you hands on an N reg aircraft in the UK, and you can now exercise the privileges of your FAA licence anyway (IFR etc). Get an FAA CFI and CFII rating, and you can instruct in the UK, there are loads of people here who need Biannual flight reviews, and instrument proficiency checks, often in their own aircraft, and so long as its on the N reg, you're legal to get paid for it.

EA