PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 appeal and laser surgery
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2004, 15:41
divorcingjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again,

I have never had to wear glasses or contact lenses and have always had 6/6 vision using both eyes together. My left eye is 6/6 and my according to gatwick, my right eye is shortsighted by 2.63 dioptres. An independent optometrist says that by wearing a -2D contact lens I can see to the required level, but apparently this is not acceptable as it is not my "true" refractive error. I did demonstrate this during the exam, but he failed me anyway, as 2D of anisometropia is the initial limit. I wish gatwick had mentioned this little piece of information before they took me for the full exam fee !!

I find it staggeringly unfair that people who have -5 dioptres of short sight in both eyes and have bad vision when not wearing their glasses are considered safer to fly than me !! AAARGH!!! It also says in the regulations that there is no way that having laser surgery can get you a medical certificate that you could not have obtained by wearing glasses.. also blatently not true!

I phoned gatwick today and asked again for my results, which they have promised to send out to me .. fingers crossed this time ! Can I ask you if you remember a machine being used to change the lens in front of your eye or did they use the glasses with the interchangeable lenses ? I only ask because it states in my letter of denial that I have -2.63D, and apparently the lenses for the manual method only come in 0.25D steps! This could mean that my actual reading was closer to -2.5D.. strange...

Sorry for the very long post, but thanks again !

divorcingjack