PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the language of the skies??
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2004, 15:27
Oluf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny.

I don't believe it's lack of perspective that made me start the debate, rather the need for common ground. If there is one thing in my experience aviators will agree apon it's safety issues. If a pilot is given the needs for better situational awareness he will take it.
As long as the standard prescribed by ICAO is to use the English language when engaging in aviation radio conversation one must abide by that.
Now the my intention for starting this debate is not so much to advocate for English, as it is to underline the importance of cross the board understanding while in the air, be that in Chinese, Spanish or Latin.
I admit that I would prefer the language to be English for two reasons. 1. I understand it. 2. Beacuse it carries the standard frasiologi that we use to make the communication short and to the point, and thus bringing everyone into the loop. It is tought at every flightschool in the JAA countries as the language to utilize.
English may not be the language spoken by most as a mother tounge, it is however probably the most widespread making it useful.
So the issue at hand may not really be what language we speak, it is agreeing on the standard and sticking to it.
One could be temted to compare this to the issue of computersystems. As we know microsoft is the biggest, but is it the best? Maybe not technically, it is however the most widespread, and therefore utilized for the enhancement of better communication. It sets the standard.
I for one like to understand thouroughly what goes on around me while I'm in the air.

Oluf