PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Pilot held on Drink allegations
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2004, 12:11
Oilhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is turning into one of the most inhuman cases involving aircrew I can remember. I think this guy has been tried already - by the UK tabloids if I recall - they sentenced him to a life of abject misery - denied access to his family, humiliated with that disgusting mug shot that the BBC is still gleefully showing on thier web site. And now we read he has resigned.

The fact that he is still jammed up in the USA is beyond belief. Did he stick a knife in someone outside a bar? Did he rob someone at gunpoint? No, he allegedly used some questionable judgement in fitness for duty, and is now paying a fearful price, even before he gets his day in court.

I am curious as to why his fellow crewmembers in the van let him get to the airport, let alone the airplane. I am making the assumption (I know, I know!) that he travelled from a hotel to the airport like all crewmembers - in a van. If so, why no noise from them? Did they smell anything on his breath? Presumably in the confines of a closed van, they would have smelt something questionable coming from him, certainly so if some TSA thug could so in such an open area as a security check point. Stale alcohol is one of the eaisest smells to detect. If anyone in that crew had the slightest suspicion of alcohol on this guy's breath prior to leaving the hotel or arriving at the airport, they bear a huge responsibility here as well, if they did not confront him with their suspicions. I hope if this goes to court (did I read August??!!) that this will get explained; could be very embarrassing for Virgin. I will bet there are some crewmembers sweating bullets that they don't get called as witnesses.

I hope this guy is getting taken care of, stuck as he is away from his homeland and family. He does not deserve this seemingly never-ending nightmare, whatever the circumstances of that night.

With liberty and justice for all.....