PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tribute to Glen
Thread: Tribute to Glen
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2004, 09:18
cambioso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh the memories of an outstanding character.....
I first met Glen at Leeds in 1978 just after he left Northair and had started Citation Flying Services (I think it was called).
We met in a hotel and within 2 weeks my phone rang in Scotland and I found myself on the way to Teuge in Holland in Glen's C337 (G-FAST) to ferry back a C172 he was selling in the UK.
I thought I had died and gone to heaven in those days. I (a relatively low houred PPL/IMC) would get the call, jump onto Air UK and rumble over to Holland and bring back many (about 10 I think including the mighty C206) examples of the Cessna family to various parts of the UK.Throughout this period I knew I always would have Glen's peculiarly laconic drawling voice only a phone call away encouraging me on, if should doubt my abilities(which was often!)...he was always right and I learnt "shed loads"!
I then moved South and got more invoved in the aviation scene and I didn't see him for a while.
Later when I was flying B200s and latterly shiney jets, I would always make a point of visiting Soloflight, when I found myself at Humberside, and introduce my bemused co-pilots to one of the greatest pilots and friends a man could ever have.
Glen's death came as a total surprise to me since I was only phoning Mel yesterday to ask Mel & Glen about an FAA technicality (they have such an in-depth knowledge of the FAA system) and Mel gave me the shocking news.
I haven't cried for 20 years....I did then.
There will be many kind words from almost the entire aviation community.The world is a colder place for his parting, but those of us who were privileged to know him will always have a glow inside at the mention of his name.
Mel, so many words of condolence will be said in the days to come but my thoughts are only for you now, it's a bastard to be left behind so try and be strong darling you will always have the biggest "glow" of all of us.......
Jez.