PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confused about degrees, Modular, and Integrated courses available. Advice appreciated
Old 14th Mar 2004, 20:59
poobaboon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Confused about degrees, Modular, and Integrated courses available. Advice appreciated

Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have always wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, its only now I can seriously consider my options as I am old enough to apply on to the different courses and schemes such as CTC.

Here is a bit of background (thought it might be helpful but feel free to skip down past it, not sure if its relevant)

I finished my A levels last year with ABC(+C in general studies) and decided to do Computing at University as I was interested in problem solving and programming, and a little in computers in general. After a few months I wasn't really happy with it, it was way too boring, I didn't want to spend 3 years feeling like that and also the debt I would end up with, and it made me realise I certainly don't want a career in that field at any point in my life. So I posted in here and got some good advice (thanks), mostly saying that if ever a degree will matter, it will probably be the fact it is a degree rather than the subject, and I was also recommended that a good option would be to apply on to the CTC scheme and any similar. At the time, I wasn't old enough to do this, and I had the option to transfer on to the Aviation Technology course which I did do, mainly because I would rather spend 3 years doing something interesting, I feel it is important to be happy with what you are doing, and in doing Computing I wasn't happy, and I couldn't really turn down the placement as it is still potentially a stepping stone (I will have a degree to put on my CV). I have secured a place on the Aviation course to start in September so I am currently working full time at HSBC.

Now that I have secured a place on the course, I am wondering if I am doing the correct thing at this time and trying to weigh up my options. I have listed them below, but would really like some input on these such as what is right, what is wrong about them, what else should I consider, are there any more resources to check out?

1: Do the aviation degree. At the end I will have a degree, a PPL, but at least 6 or 7 thousand in debt if I live at home (the uni is local) or double that + more if I live in accomodation. hmmm!

2: Work full time for a few years, this will enable me to build up some money for options 4 or 5

3: Apply for a place on the CTC scheme (or similar). Its a route with fierce competition but who knows what is possible, I could fail at stage 1 or make it all the way through, so I think its definately worth considering as I have nothing to lose. In the end it could be possible to have the licenses I need and a possible job so surely its worth a shot.

4: Try get on an integrated course. If I work for a few years I would be able to part fund it to ease the cost slightly. In the end of that I could have the licenses I need in maybe 2 years, but may be more difficult to get a job (eg CTC have links to Easyjet and Thomas Cook) and may be difficult to get type rating?

5: Go on the modular route. Multiflight at LBA offer a modular course and LBA is only 35 or so minutes away so I could still live at home for part of it and save. In the end I could have the licenses I need, I could part fund it by working, it wouldn't cost as much as integrated, but will probably take a lot longer and possibly less chance of getting a job like option 4? Are there any particular Integrated or Modular courses, not sponsored by airlines, that are known to be 'favoured' by airlines?

I suppose working for HSBC could come in handy, I have heard they are quite big anyway with helping people finance expensive training to develope a career.

I think they appear to be my main options but I am finding it hard to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of these as I don't know anyone with experience of these.

I am completely confused about what to do, which is why any advice you can offer from your experience whether you are in a similar position, in training, a pilot or former pilot is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time in reading this and any comments you can add.

Daniel

edited: Just realised this may be better in the other wannabe forum, sorry

Last edited by poobaboon; 14th Mar 2004 at 21:19.