PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS - Easy 4DD France, today
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2004, 00:38
livingdead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS - Easy 4DD France, today

In the vague hope that the crew (Capt?) of the above flight might read this, could I just point out what a good job you did of bringing our profession into disrepute today, with your angry exchange on the radio to french ATC after your TCAS non-event.

For those who didnt hear it, the aircraft turned in response to a TA (not an RA), and when queried by ATC as to why the turn had ocurred, replied that they "had to manoevure due to a yellow TCAS".

Poor French lady was at some difficulty with non-standard language but kept trying to understand why the LATERAL manoevure had taken place even though a/c were 5 miles apart.

She also tried to point out that the turn had reduced spearation between 4DD and another a/c.

Instead she gets a torrent of angry invective from our so called professional colleague who obviously is not aware that:-

1) You dont manoeuvre in response to a TA - certainly not laterally
2)TCAS isnt accurate in azimuth anyway (I have seen a/c at 11 o'clock which TCAS 'thinks' are at 2 o'clock).

I would imagine the FO's face was doing a sterling job of imitating a radiant heater - poor chap.

And before you ask - no - I am not an "Easy-hater", they didnt turn me down for a job etc etc.

Still, your eventual insistence on filing a report should at least bring some justice - I just wonder if you are man enought to apologise. If not, I understand that Aeroflot have a vacancy on their cross-Swiss route.

Rant over

Last edited by livingdead; 14th Mar 2004 at 06:24.