PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coastwatch/Surveillance Australia
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2004, 21:16
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
A question-
Does everyone after training go to HID, on the BN2 or can you go to one of the other bases? Or how do you progress to other bases after HID. is it a bid type system?
You will get posted to whatever base needs pilots. Pilots already in the company who want to transfer to another base will get preference. Because people generally want to get off HID at some stage, they enjoy it but don't want to get stuck there, the HID guys will generally move to other bases and you would fill their positions. it often happens though, that will also be getting a promotion onto the DHC8 or F406 and so, you can sometimes go straight to a slot at one of the other bases.

Cairns is generally out of the question. Almost everyone would like to go there so a new BN2 pilot isn't likely to get in straight away. Darwin is the most likely non-HID first base for a new BN2 driver as the base population is quite transient there.

If you get based at HID there is the option of working in HID and getting time off in Cairns. I'm not sure how quickly you can get on to that. It's certainly not available straight away.

There is no bid system as such. If you want a transfer, then you let them know and they will give it consideration based on its merits. If there's more than one pilot wanting a spot then the decision will be made based entirely on performance and overall suitability for the position. There is no strict seniority system, though if you have no problems then you will generally get upgraded in turn.

Airspeed Ambassador

The contract expires over the next year or so. The different aircraft have different expirey dates. The BN2 is due to go first.

I have heard nothing from the company about the next contract. I would be surprised though, if the current contract was not extended. I would have thought that the tendering process would be more advanced than it is if they intend the current contract to expire on schedule.

The above is pure speculation on my behalf and the information should be treated with due caution.