PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash Scotland: Pilot prosecuted. VERDICT
Old 13th Mar 2004, 20:30
widgeon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told once that wire cutters were not that popular in the UK as all the overhead wires are shown on charts , is this the case ? , is so could not something linked to the gps give a warning if you are flying towards wires at the right ( wrong ) altitude ?. Dornier also were working on a fwd looking array ( laser based I think ) . I saw the Amphitech at the show a couple of years ago and have a few observations . It needs to be as far forward as possible , many Helicopters already have fwd c of g problems this will make it worse. If it is placed far fwd it will shadow the Flir or searchlight that often needs to be in that position. Bristol ( Magellan ) have published some impressive stats showing that wire cutters do save lives , an interesting anecdote , I was told once that the wire cutter was developed after the antenna on a Canadian Forces helicopter had managed to cut a wire that would otherwise have doomed the helicopter.