PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Cuts at Servisair over Lost Ryanair Contract
Old 23rd Jan 2002, 00:00
SZD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I know that it may be a bit hard on Servisair but why on earth are they unable to recruit and retain good staff??"

In two words: Bad Management

Staff are expected to do a huge amount of work for very little pay and no thanks from the managers, airlines or passengers.

Delays are covered up by managers (Who, with occasional exception, have no idea what they are doing) so bad performance does not reflect on them. No one is willing to accept responsibilty and instead of tackling the problem head on, a person is thrown at it, equiped only with a mobile phone, a tabard which invariably has liasion somewhere in the title made up for them and not one jot of help or backup from the management.

The Whole operation revolves around the blame culture. Make a mistake and your are writing reports left right and centre, and even when it is clearly not that member of staffs fault, they are still dragged infront of the powers that be for a good rodgering. And not forgetting all the 'get out clauses' that the management introduce to cover their own backs.

Staff are expected to stand and take whatever passengers, Airline Reps, Flight deck and cabin crew can throw at them for virtually nothing and when you have seen some of the abuse that is flung around (Mostly by pilots and cabin crew I have to say) it is a wonder that most staff last longer than a few days, indeed i bet the majority don't. I believe that at MAN last summer, around 20 temp dispatchers left the company before they had even seen an aeroplane. I dread to think what the Passenger Handling staff turnover is like, especially with their NAZI style rules and regulations.

So, now you have an insight into how Servisair works

BUT,

Despite all the above, there are staff at Servisair who ARE professional. Who WILL go out of their way to help people and who DO care about doing a good job. Please do not paint all Servisair's staff with the same colour.

Alot of it's problems stem from the airlines wanting to have first class handling but at the same time wanting to pay in chocolate money, and I'm afraid that Ryanair fall squarely into this catergory. (They even shut down their engines before turning onto stand and coasting to a stop to save fuel!)

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: SZD ]

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: SZD ]</p>