PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Pilot Meeting
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2004, 13:58
skyslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dune, Hello

I agree with you that no place is full of roses, pleasure and games. I have been with my outfit for the last 10 years, and although things have not changed towards the worse, they have definetely not changed towards the better. When one lives in his own country it is easy not to see the erosion of terms and conditions. The new boys and girls coming in to our company do not have a final salary pension, nor has the increase in salary matched the UK Govt inflation rate index. I live home though, so alot of things are not seen scrutinized in depth as we all have our little world outside the airline. There is no greater expectation in living in your own country than the whole general population. Expat life is different, it is not about being home, it is about various things for various people. I had the opportunity to live with my parents in SE Asia as my father worked for Her Majesty's government and I got a taste of the ups and downs of being away. It is not for everyone and it definetely is not for those of us who are less tolerant of local customs and ways. Emirates is no different to any other airline in the world. Cathey, Singapore, but even the big Flag carrier crowds like BA and Quantas are not what they used to be. At present I think the terms and conditions will not improve until the market improves. Aviation had been without major colapses or layoffs in the States during the ninetees and therefore pilots from that region were not looking for expat jobs. Until the market picks up, and they go back to their Airlines, the pressure is on us and not on management. History has proven that things will get better again, and the cycle will go on.
Emirates will be a longterm place for a few, for others a medium term, and for others an opportunity to get something and leave for greaner pastures when the Market picks up.
All I say is, "Attitude" is what we must change to remain happy in our jobs
Good Luck to us all