PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ pilots under political pressure (merged)
Old 13th Mar 2004, 09:35
jstars2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straits Times, 13.03.04

Capt Ryan Goh submits appeal against PR decision

Govt receives appeal of SIA pilot who was told his PR would be revoked after he was named as the instigator in Alpa-S ouster

By Rebecca Lee

SINGAPORE Airlines pilot Captain Ryan Goh, who has been served notice that his permanent resident status will be revoked, has appealed against the decision.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) yesterday confirmed that Capt Goh, a Malaysian citizen, has made representations against the Controller of Immigration's intention to revoke his PR status.

On Friday, the ICA told Capt Goh of its intention to cancel his entry and re-entry permits, which are necessary for PRs here.
It was doing so as the Home Affairs Minister decided that Capt Goh was an 'undesirable immigrant' as specified by Section 8(3)(k) of the Immigration Act.

Capt Goh, 43, who has been a Singapore PR since 1981, was singled out by the Government as the 'instigator' behind last year's ouster of the executive committee of the Air Line Pilots Association-Singapore (Alpa-S).

The pilot, who declined comment when contacted, was given up till yesterday to say why his PR status should not be revoked.

Separately, the Manpower Ministry (MOM) has decided to allow three foreigners to sit on the executive council of Alpa-S, after its president Mok Hin Choon said he was shorthanded and needed them to help run the show.

It sent letters of approval to Captain George Howard Park and First Officers Srihari Vaidun and Viswanathan Nachiappan, who were elected in December but, according to the Trade Union Act, have to obtain the MOM's written approval to become union leaders.

They are all Singapore PRs.

Capt Park, a Malaysian who has been living here for 30 years, was delighted with the news.
'They don't have any doubts as to the credibility of my stake in Singapore. I'm here to stay for a very, very long time,' he said.

Capt Park, whose wife and daughter are Singaporeans, said he will consider taking up citizenship at a 'conducive time'.

'The letter of approval states very specifically that efforts to take up Singapore citizenship ought to be considered in the long term,' he said.

Similarly, First Officer Srihari Vaidun, an Indian national, said: 'I'm very happy that my application was approved. I hope to contribute to the union in whatever way I can.'

Last edited by jstars2; 13th Mar 2004 at 13:32.