PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could someone please explain the difference between...proportional and all that ****
Old 12th Mar 2004, 23:31
OneMileHigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry Jinkster but: What I am about to say may seem a bit harsh, but sometimes a reality check is called for.

You are aiming to be an Airline Transport Pilot, where intelligence is an absolute requirement for the job. The ATPL theory exams partly fulfil the role of removing the unqualified from the potential pilot pool, but also gives those without the required knowledge and intelligence the chance to develop. For many it takes a lot of time and money but they get through, and in a lot of cases this forum provides many answers to many questions.

Now I am not saying that every pilot should know beforehand the meaning of proportionality and whether it is applied inversely or not, but it would normally be assumed that an aspiring commercial pilot would have this knowledge. However my worry with you is that you are immediately resorting to an internet forum like Pprune without any attempt at self help. What has happened to books in your life, or even the wider aspects of self study using the net.

What impression are you giving to potential employers where nearly all the planning and preparation you would do is by self analysis and using written information effectively. Even met briefings are done without the old fashioned met man to help.

Now please don't take all this critisism to heart, because beneath it all is good sound advice. Self study is an essential part of life for anyone aiming for a higher employment level, and it is a habit you would do well to adopt.