PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane, Train or Bus?? Safety??
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2004, 16:31
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are of course, no Flight Attendants, or their equivalent on other modes of public transport; Therefore there is no one to police compliance with the rules, even if such rules existed. If legislation were enacated for buses and trains, the costs would quickly become prohibitive: Both would immediately be able to carry less passengers and would also have to hire numerous safety staff.

All transport is about managing risk, in other words, there are risks inherent in all methods of transport and society does its' best to reduce the risk to a level that society considers acceptable: That level of risk is rarely, if ever, zero - it is simply the level that society regards as tolerable, in exchange for a cost level that is acceptable. We all know that self driving is statistically significantly more dangerous than many other forms of transport and yet we continue to do so having made a combined mental cost/benefit analysis and risk assesment. In many cases, drivers are happy enough with this personal calculation to feel that they can drive while drunk, or without being strapped in or while making a call on a mobile handset with one hand.

For the record, my personal risk assesment includes the following points:
  • I try to avoid travel on underground trains due to congestion and the problems with escape in a fire
  • I try and get a room on a low floor in hotels on nightstops
  • I drive (probably worse than I think) sober, strapped in and in the slow lane
All of these mean that I'm now a registered "Old Fart" but I plan to try and live longer this way - but then, the best laid plans....

--------------------
Per Ardua Ad Ibiza