PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 12th Mar 2004, 12:54
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Thief I think the CAA rules are "enter class A airspace non-radio and if we don't shoot you down we'll take away your licence!" Our lot a a bit more Draconian than the FAA unfortunately. Still I was treated very fairly under the rules. Basically I should have taken the option of remaining outside controlled airspace and landed at the grass field to the North. The Senior ATCO suggested I get the radios sorted before I visited again. She was seriously underwhelmed when I explained that I was basing the aircraft there!!

Looper that brings back memories of an approach to a certain grass airfield to the West of London. There I was doing my first circuits in an ARV (shoulder wing, great visibility), turning from left base onto finals when I was confronted by a PA-28 head on turning from right base onto finals against the circuit direction. Instructor rapidly took control and turned us away. Due to the Piper's low wing he hadn't seen us. My instructor gave the Piper pilot a large piece of his mind when we were on the ground. In fact it was such a large piece of his mind that he could barely speak for half an hour afterwards