PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top Tips
Thread: Top Tips
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2004, 10:48
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Mr C H

I was born and raised on a council estate, in a two up two down, by two parents who both left school at 14 with no qualifications. They were unskilled manual workers, and we never had such luxuries as central heating or a car. I was the first in my family to go to university. I was certainly born of a 'poor' family, and anything I have achieved in life has been the result of my own hard work and ability. No I was not from the north, but I didn't realise that was a criteria for being an officer in the armed forces! I am sure I can swop 'we had it hard in my day' stories with you any day!

Given my position in society and pay check I would no doubt be defined as 'middle class' today, as would my children. I said in my post that I was looking for a source of the right calibre of person for future IOT candidates, which are apparently lacking in society in general today. I suggested that private schools still have the right 'ethos', 'work hard play hard', etc, which they engender in their pupils. I also stated that they are no longer totally full of 'knobs', private education is no longer the preserve of the upper classes! It is for whoever is willing to pay for it, and many families do make such sacrifices because they want the best for their children! It may interest you to know that apparently there are, and always have been, private schools in the north as well!!

I was making a suggestion for the betterment of the service that for some strange reason (given the way it often treats me!) I still have an attachment and loyalty too. You can disagree with my suggestion if you wish, but kindly don't accuse me of being a 'toff'. I too was 'scum' as you put it. I for one don't deny my heritage, but then neither do I wear it as a badge!!

Edited for poor spelling!!

Last edited by Biggus; 11th Mar 2004 at 11:54.