PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone ever flew with Royal Aero Club Of WA?
Old 11th Mar 2004, 06:21
tightcannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys and girls,
i havent been involved in the Perth scene for a number of years but the problem with JT has always been that it suffers from a lack of world wide knowledge outside of WA. All of the schools are good (even the small ones) but you need to decide on what job you are after.
If you want to go instructing and you think that you can get a job then WA is probably the best way to go, You have China S,Racwa, Air Oz, Phoenix,Amity Singers,Institute, Aero Co Shine ,Bunbury, Tropicair, Kununurra,Kal, Skyworx, Adastral and the rest. the problem is that if you are after flying bigger a/c then you are very limited, you have Paul Lyons, Kevron, skyworkx,Complete who all take on lower time pilots, The perth crowd of GWA, Network, Skippers NJ, Maroomaba, Complete, Pearl all like 1000's of hours.

A really good way to go is to head east to a local school away from the major airports. Canberra, Darwin, Maount Isa, Marrochy, Cooly, Mackay, Rocky, Townsville, Cairms,Tamworth,ect ect ect, there is heaps of employment at the moment.
RFDS, Airlink, Easterns, Rex, ******, Pelair, Corporate, VB, JStar, QF Sunnies, Sunshine EXp are all interviewing and hiring.
They take peolpe with less time than the perth guys and the equipment is better. There is lots of twin work if you know where to look and are prepared to travel. try parachuting, GAM and the others. Dont worry about the ATPL you can always go to Marrochy or back to the RACWA. I guess the descision is how much do you want the job. If I had my time again I would have done my PPL, NVFR jumped in a relaible HQ panelvan and headed off. Talked to the schools and found out if they are up with the industry, an example of this is a certain school at Caloundra who look like a rough version of Amity yet they have about 8 twins flying chater in FNQ and they employ thier own pilots. I would also go online to CASA or buy the Aviation Australia Operaters list and write to every flying chool and operater in the country. Dont listen to the guys and girls from MEL or Syd because they are in the same boat that you are, i even had a mate ring up from Darwin last year wanting a Baron pilot for the season, all he wanted was the endorsemnt and a few hours on type, he couldnt find a pilot so he trained up a new guy. It is important that the CFI has worldly experaince, you cant teach charter if you have never done it.

I will say this though.

IN 14 YEARS OF FLYING FROM CHARTER, INSTRUCTING AND AIRLINES I HAVE NEVER (NEVER) MET A PILOT WHO DIDNT GET A JOB FLYING WHEN HE REALLY REALLY WANTED ONE,

thats the truth you will end up with a job and after a few years it will be turbine and salary but you have to make it happen, you have to want it and you have to work for it. if you end up working for the RACWA on full time and you are happy thats 10 times the job that the checkout chick has got.