PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Phantom at Fairford
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2004, 03:41
Feneris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago I looked into the process of acquiring an ex RAF airframe, due to strong personal interest and the fact I hate seeing them scrapped, but never really took it further.

If you phone up military personnel, you should get an answer or refered to someone else etc etc until you ultimately get one. The base itself is likely to have a public/media relations officer, I guess they would be a good place to start. They will have a much better idea where to look for information regarding the airframe. Find out who's responsible for it's disposal supply/engineering/outside agency etc, then speak to them. You'll need to move fast before a disposal bid is accepted. Even if you're too late, speak to the scrappy if you want any parts of it. To him a 100kg of aluminium is 100kg of aluminium, it does not matter if it's a bag-of-sh!te bit of junk, or ex front line precision engineering. I've bought old turbine blades for £1 each and various other bits of aeroplane for no money at all.

An interesting place to look for general info on disposals is:

http://www.ams.mod.uk/ams/content/topics/2547.htm

I had a look at the GR1 disposal example, they specifically consider the use of airframes as Gate Guards and museum pieces, to preserve the RAF heritage. A GR1 airframe after spares recovery is valued at £1000.......less than I spent last month having my car serviced!!

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

F

PS. You'd be doing bloody well to get them to agree to move it underslung! Also Merlin...........it's got a very poor load lifting ability due to it being rather heavy itself.