PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Italians call for long prison sentences after Linate SAS accident
Old 10th Mar 2004, 06:16
Bletchley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Watcher.

Whilst I have no time for journalists of any sort in general (there are one or two 'good ones' but they are the exception to the rule), and I don't seek to defend the BBC, I would make the following point which is I think a salient one.

The fault must rest with the Prosecution authorities in this case. You can hardly blame the BBC for reporting effectively what the Prosecutor has said albeit no doubt possible simplified.

I admit that I speak from a basis of little knowledge of all the facts but I have read the accident report.

Anyone with a modicum of commonsense (I do not include the Police or Judiciary generally in this) would appreciate that there is not normally any one person to blame in any accident.

Accidents of this nature tend to result from a number of failures. Some of these will be failures of individuals but generally they will only affect the outcome of any incident.

The basic (root) cause of nearly almost every accident can be traced back to system (i.e. Management) failures.

Such a shame that the Prosecution authorities in Italy seem to have opted for the classic scapegoat and are dealing with the symptoms rather than the cause.

Why oh why is it that the legal system is unable to understand the concept of system failure but always go for the poor devil at the sharp end?