PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIS - your input please
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2004, 06:11
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm aware of the Oz Airservice thing. If Airnoservices win, then NAIPS will in turn end up supporting the charging for access system. How can that be a negative factor for CAA/AIS if the UK/EADs are hoping to do the same?

Re. supporting alternat browsers via open standards: It's a fallacy that it's more expensive to support multiple browsers provided they use standards compliant code iaw W3 consortium's specifications.

ALL browsers support the specs as a fundamental. It's the use of browser specific code that causes things to break and therefore requires multiple versions for different browsers eg an IE version x.x, y.y and Netscape version z.z. They all still work with standards compliant part of the code. Avoid using the browser specifics and the problem disappears.

There seems to be a clear trend to devices that are NOT bog standard Windows PCs with IE & or Netscape. Witness WAP, smart phones, PDAs of myriad OS & browsers. I don't see this reducing in the near or mid term. If anything I think there will be an expansion of such devices. Where will that leave their restrictive access site then?

Your efforts are much appreciated.