PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 10th Mar 2004, 02:18
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenever hours building with one of the LA traffic watch operators comes up, someone always says the CAA won't allow you to count those hours for the purpose of satisfying minimum hours requirements - obtaining a professional licence etc.

Both places have been offering hours-building for years, both are well-known and both often have UK pilots. The CAA must know about them, must know the regs of the Jetrangers and/or if they see a block of LA flying from Van Nuys or Fullerton, 3 hours every morning and 2 hours every evening at almost exactly the same times every day, they must realise it's traffic watch time. So, if the CAA takes this approach, there should be quite a few people around who can confirm it.
Where are they? I've never met anyone who's had this happen to them. The CAA is criticised for many things, often with justification, but I wonder if this one's true or just an urban myth.

Does anyone know a pilot who's had his/her traffic watch hours rejected by the CAA?
NB: I mean know.
Not 'I heard from someone who heard from someone else who had a cousin whose friend I didn't actually talk to myself, said .........'
Not 'One of the instructors at my school told me the CAA won't count the hours.'

BTW, I wouldn't recommend asking the CAA, or drawing their attention to traffic watch hours if you have them. It may be a grey area to which they sensibly turn a blind eye - they can't do that if they're forced to give a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 10th Mar 2004 at 02:32.