PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 9th Mar 2004, 09:12
Thief13x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Flyingforfun

Thats a very good question (why didn't i report these two incidents to my flight instructor) and i'm not sure i have a straight foward anwser to that. I guess its probably a combination of things, the biggest one being that my flight instructor is a vetern, and very proffesional, and it would be quite embarrasing to tell him about such unproffesional mistakes. Secondly, as i said, ive been working off and on on my PPL for about 3 years now, and because of this i have made some pretty stupid minor mistakes in front of him (such as misreading the heading indicator as 003 when its actually 030) and (forgetting the bank angles on the attitude indicator during my second year of flying). Mistakes like these make him say 'Cmon Dave!' and honestly, i don't want him to think i'm any more stupid than i probably already appear.

On the contrary, he has on a few occasions, mentioned some mistakes he's made (none like these though, usually more the airplanes fault than the pilot's with him). I would defenatly recommend however, to flight instructors that you share even your most embarrasing mistakes with students, not to put yourself down, but to bring them up. I look at my flight instructor, and i honestly don't think he's ever made a stupid mistake in his life! he's so proffesional about everything, and he always seems to be at least one step ahead of me .

I guess the biggest tip i can give to instructors, is to be able to relate to your students like a friend, maybe try to think of yourselfs more as a co-pilot helping to solve problems, than a flight instructor. Even talking to your student about stuff besides flying might be a good idea, it would really help us to open up and ask questions on things we might be not so sure about. I'm not trying to talk bad about my instructor, i just think he maybe used to teaching on a higher level than the PPL, and therefore has trouble viewing 'dumbed down questions' as somthing other than 'uneducated'.

Hope that all made sense to you flight instructors out there

Fly Safe

T13x