PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 9th Mar 2004, 06:47
JohnnyPharm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mistakes

Was on my first solo night flight as part of the night rating in FL. Did a few circuits in the dark then decided to go further afield. Found my destination field landed and turned around to come back. Taxiway had no lights and I totaly couldn't find the runway and it was an uncontrolled field. Eventually, sweating, I found the runway took off and followed the wrong freeway back to my home field. Eventually realised I was lost and followed the freeway back to the away field and found the correct freeway back to home field and landed safely. Very sweaty but relieved.

Pulled off the runway and decided to do a few more circuits. Lined up, made my calls and started rolling. Normal take off was 55kts, I was at 40kts with the trees at the end of the runway looking very close. Looked down, had forgot my after landing checks and had full flap and carb heat hot. There was no power and no lift, put carb heat on and retracted flaps quick style and pulled yolk back. I don't know how close I was to the trees but you could smell the fear. I was totally drenched with sweat by this time but decided to do a couple of full stop landings after that and make sure I did my after landers.

Have pulled the ICO instead of carb also, but fortunately only during the run up.

Also have lined up with the taxi way on a straight in at Gillespie Field in San Diego, should have been lined up on that tiny runway if anyone has been there but lined up with the taxi-way, realised my mistake about half a mile out.

Not me but a mate of mine took off with a concrete tie down block still attatched to his left wing. Flew and landed at an away field. Radio at away field told him he had something attatched to left wing. He couldn't believe it when he saw it was a huge lump of concrete. Said it was a bit sluggish to get rolling and was flying a bit left wing down. Also said there was no damage so dumped it in the back and flew home. Said he got distracted during his walk round. The poor lad has never flown since.