PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firewall an NG - what do you get
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2004, 23:54
LOKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Detent:

Thank you for your informative reply – just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Of course when I say “Firewall”, we wouldn’t be actually slamming the thrust levers forward, but rather gently placing them against the forward part of the quadrant in a very controlled and non-panicky manner.

However, I was told, by someone whose been right on everything before, that the older CFM engines – 737-300 era – were mechanically “pinned” when you purchase them, at the thrust level that you paid for. That when you went full stop with the Thrust Lever – that’s what you got – 22K, 24K – or what ever you paid for originally. The newer CFM engines, however, (700 era) where software limited at your “purchased level”– if you went full stop with these engines – you got the highest rated thrust the engine could produce – apparently 27,300 @ SL/15C.

For example – you are flying a machine that is rated at 24 K with a 26 K bump. If the Bump was NOT selected, I used to assume that if I firewalled it – I got 24 K (despite any assume or derate that I might have selected). According to this new understanding – I would get 27 K – a 12.5% increase over what I thought I was getting. This is good, however comes with some baggage as well Vmcg or mca.

If the above is true – I think there is wide spread misunderstanding amongst the pilots flying this A/C.

BTW – I heard the best definition of assume – it’s the lowest form of human intelligence.

Once again – appreciate your last informative post – if you could clarify my confusion on this issue – I would be appreciative.

LK