PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 8th Mar 2004, 22:38
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phew, that's a lot of people mixing up carb heat and mixture control. In the R22, there's a guard for the mixture to prevent you doing that. Sounds like f/w aircraft could do with the same thing.

I bet the powers that be don't know how often this happens. When I had a governor-related incident in the R22 - probably turned it off with my sleeve, though I was never sure - a very experienced instructor and Air Accident Investigator asked me if I would be willing to CHIRP it and also send in a MOR. The reason - he'd been saying for ages that the position of the governor switch in the R22 was causing problems. Everyone who flew it knew - I'd turned it off with my sleeve three times, and I only had 100 hours at the time - but the CAA said they had no record of any governor related incidents!!!

What's the betting this carb heat/mixture confusion isn't known about either. Seriously, folks, maybe we should be reporting some of these. It could help pilots of the future, and maybe get things changed that need changing.