PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 8th Mar 2004, 19:48
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Thiel13X,

I have two experiences of the feeling of panic when you realise that you are in the wrong place in the circuit. The first one was many years ago when a was stressed by sharing the circuit with a BAC 111 which was doing all kinds of things like simulated elevator failure and pitot calibration. The viz was pretty poor and all this resulted in me landing on the wrong runway.

More recently I was landing at Lands End and, after a perfect overhead join and downwind leg, I turned onto the wrong runway. For those who don't know it, Lands End has four grass runways and two of them are 12/30 and 03/21. To add to the confusion, the numbers were not easy to see until you were in line. Although I had set the DI bug to runway heading I still managed to turn onto 35 instead of 30.

When advised by ATC of my error I started a go around and then had to fight moments of shear panic before I worked out what to do. There was another aircraft in the circuit which also helped to start the panic.

However, I did manage to sort it out and then make a reasonable landing. Judging from the banter as I paid the landing fee I gathered that I am far from being the first one to make this mistake at Lands End. They told me that they were considering buying an old aircraft carrier and mooring it offshore so that it would always be pointing into wind. They obviously don't know anything about tides. I suggested that all they needed to do was to increase the font size for the runway numbers.