PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Best use for the R22
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2004, 16:38
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPR: much as I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into compiling your database, it does appear to be lacking - er - data. You cannot expect your figures to be taken seriously when you are clearly infering that the Robinson helicopter is dangerous. You provide no reasons for the destroyed helicopters.
A simple request to the CAA would find you the UK data you are missing - and I believe you will then find that the vast majority of R accidents are caused by:

(a) training with an instructor on board - and the Robinson is by far the most popular training machine so is therefore likely to have more accidents.

(b) pilot error.

My own craft is one of the "destroyed" machines and I know that the accident had nothing to do with the machine or its design.

Going to a scrapyard and counting the wrecks does not give any indication of how safe a vehicle might be to drive.

This is a public forum and not all viewers can be expected to apply statistical thinking when figures like your are published.

If you have a real database with accidents per 100,000 hrs and causes determined, then please publish it here. We'd all love to see it.