PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 8th Mar 2004, 12:45
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know guys and gals; its humourous to watch all the replies to the question of "where to train". Why? because nobody on the planet actually has anything bad to say about the person(s) who taught them to fly.
This is interesting because everyone thinks that the person that taught them is the best pilot/instructor around. Its not until later that you realise how little they knew and how little you did when you came out of the CPL.

You are probably better to ask the question "What is the best environment to train in and who can supply that plus the experience"?
That question culls the list of suitors quickly. You then realise that the city schools will teach you lots about airspace but nothing about mountains and vice versa.
I have yet to see airspace kill any of my friends. Capice?

Also look at your instructor that will be teaching you. What have they done and where have they been. If it costs you $20 more an hour to fly with Bruce Harvey or some of the south island boys as opposed to joe bloggs at city helicopters who has 1000hrs of circut time in the other seat watching a student fly. Joe can work the radio better than a 747 captain and do a deadly circut but knows diddly about hills and 120ft longlines.
I have yet to see the radio and average circut skills kill any of my friends. Capice?

Think about it. Quality not quantity. Location not conveinence.

...now as for my instructor! Well he was the best ........