PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Low Should We Go?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2004, 12:22
heedm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

What you say about VTOL is interesting. Since the issue for IF departure is climb gradient not climb rate, then a truly VTOL procedure could demand a 90 degree climb angle. I know there are machines capable of that in cloud, but I doubt if any of them have a large OEI envelope for that procedure. What is the holdup to making this happen? Hopefully it's not just a rules thing.

I've flown a few missed approaches for real. In some of the cases I was able to look straight down to see ground, but couldn't see enough ahead of me to call it a safe landing environment. I.e. Slant range vis wasn't sufficient but vertical vis was. One time we were above a 500' fog bank, could look down to see the runway, but we couldn't fly down to the runway. We considered hovering off the AI with someone calling drift, but then remembered that the hamburgers at taxiway Golf in Nanaimo were a better option. I digress...

I've been thinking through these approaches over the last few days and have some ideas for their design. I wouldn't be surprised if these ideas have already been considered, but just in case I'd like to contact someone in the know. Anyone out there?

Matthew.