PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Best use for the R22
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2004, 10:59
RobboRider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with this debate (and each of the previous versions (of which there have been many) is they generate a lot of heat and not much light.

Chopperpilot47

If your pilot weights etc are as stated than there really isn't any need to debate further. Its "horses for courses" and no amount of other good and bad is relevent. It would be like debating whether a moped is better than a Ute (Pick-up truck to you USA'ers) and then saying you need to carry a half ton of bricks.

The response time for autos is quick but not really lightning-speed. Many of the height-velocity curve points were derived from hover with a one second delay. I grant you its faster than a 47 but in a 47 you could read a book and have a scratch before you even noticed you needed to auto. I wish the R22 was like it but it ain't.

The other side is the R22 goes further, faster, cheaper and (opinion only) looking much nicer

MPR

I forgot to mention I know for a fact that at least two of those R22s lost were events which didn't occur because they were R22s - 2 wirestikes - I've seen the videos of the crashes taking place

I don't know how many (if any others) were wire strikes etc.

Since the early days robinson have changed the design and added tip weights and made governor use compulsory and that has supposedly removed some of the early problems. So in effect its a slightly different machine now.

RR