PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 8th Mar 2004, 04:56
Autofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two tales to tell, both while PPL training:

First off, crosswind landings. I was coming into land in C152 with my instructor. The usual drill, flare ..... rudder, only I pushed the rudder the wrong way! It was the roughest landing ever and had we not been in a 152 with its forgiving spring leaf suspension, it would have been worse. Four years on, everytime I land in a crosswind, I push the rudder with about a mile to go, just to check.

Second, on from what 18greens said about being in the traffic pattern, I had a real airprox downwind. It was only my second solo flight and was flying downwind doing my checks at 1000´minding my own business. Over the radio, I heard a pilot wanting to overfly the field at 2000´and was cleared to do so. About a minute later a C152 passed about 50m infront of me in a very steep climbing turn ...... it was the pilot cleared to overfly. I was on the left so maybe I should have given way but I never saw him until he was right infront of me. I checked my altimeter and I was at 1000´which was the circuit height.

When I got back on the ground, one of the guys from the school saw it all and I was seriously shaken by it. I never reported it to ATC at the time - I was too shocked. It was at a busy commercial field too and with hindsight, I should have made a call immediately.

AF