PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates [EK] evaluates New Zealand Hub ?
Old 7th Mar 2004, 23:05
itchybum

Location: Over 250 posts so far. Perhaps I support Pprune by posting regularly.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More to the point, if you leave Aust to reside permanently in the UAE you are rightfully able to tick the "yes" box on the last tax return you submit, to the question: "Is this your last return" or words to that effect. You will then no longer be a resident for taxation purposes and I suppose the process is complete when you tick the "Resident Leaving Permanently" box on the out-going customs card at the airport.

You are no longer obligated to pay tax so there is no need to hide from the ATO.

Commuting pilots are a different breed of cat with their own taxation woes and the ATO, as we all know, love to impose changes "retrospectively" without necessarily informing you and I of the latest pitfalls so I'll leave it to others to comment on that scenario.

As for the wages, at least being paid in kiwi $ would mean the take-home (back to NZ) pay won't head downward as the exchange rate worsens (or improves, depending on your POV). Who knows they could even end up ahead of the UAE-based Kiwi pilots. (Hypothetically.............)