PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 7th Mar 2004, 19:38
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thief13x,

Of the little time i actually spend flying every week, i am starting to realize how dangerous it is compared to even driving a car. How on earth is there such a thing as "vetern pilots"!? So much can go wrong during even the simplest of flights
Whoa there!

Don't go too much to the other extreme. From what I remember of the CAA figures, there's one fatality per 100,000 flying hours. That's really not a lot.

As for driving, although I don't know the figures, the carnage on our roads is such that even fatal accidents never make it beyond a quick report in a local paper. Flying is dangerous, but living is dangerous. Many of us are too complacent in the beginning, but that doesn't mean we should get too scared to fly.

It means we should be careful, that's all. Learn, practice, learn more. Push yourself, but only a little bit at a time. My rule of thumb is to only have one new thing per flight, not set off in marginal weather to an unfamiliar airfield on a longer flight than I've done before in a type I haven't flown much. Check and re-check, and do your checks out loud the military way; you're less likely to forget them if you do that. Never be afraid to tell someone you're in trouble, or that you screwed up; that's what radios are for. If you find yourself panicking, orbit if possible until you can calm down and make a sensible decision. Don't let passengers or get-home-itis or ATC or anyone/anything else push you into doing something you aren't comfortable with. I'm sure there's more....

And having said all that - yes, flying is dangerous. All we can do is minimise the risks.