PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ pilots under political pressure (merged)
Old 7th Mar 2004, 10:51
jstars2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday Times, Singapore, 07.03.04

Controversial pilot will lose PR status
The ICA has informed Capt Ryan Goh, fingered as the instigator in the Alpa-S ouster, of its intention; he will appeal
By Rebecca Lee

CAPTAIN Ryan Goh Yew Hock, the Singapore Airlines (SIA) pilot singled out as the instigator behind last year's ouster of the pilot union's executive committee, has been served notice that his Singapore permanent residency (PR) is to be revoked.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) confirmed last night that it informed Capt Goh on Friday - when he returned from a flight - of its intention to cancel his entry and re-entry permits, which are necessary for PRs here.

'Mr Goh will no longer be a permanent resident of Singapore once his Entry Permit and Re-Entry Permits are cancelled,' the ICA said in a statement in response to queries from The Sunday Times.
'Mr Goh was informed that he may, within the next seven days, make written representation to the Controller of Immigration against such action.'

The 43-year-old Malaysian citizen, who has been a Singapore PR since 1981, said last night that the decision was 'disappointing'.
'I intend to appeal and I hope the authorities will look at my appeal favourably.

'This is after all my home. I have been here for 26 years,' was all he wanted to say when asked about the ICA statement.

The ICA said it acted against him after the Home Affairs Minister 'decided that Mr Goh was an undesirable immigrant' as defined by Section 8(3)(k) of the Immigration Act.
Section 8(3) of the Act defines persons who are considered prohibited immigrants and therefore barred from Singapore. This includes 'an undesirable immigrant' as defined in Section 8(3)(k) which reads:

'Any person who, in consequence of information received from any source or from any government through official or diplomatic channels, is considered by the Minister to be an undesirable immigrant.'

The ICA added that the Controller of Immigration will decide whether to cancel the entry and re-entry permits issued to Capt Goh 'and to declare his presence in Singapore unlawful after considering his written representation, if any'.

Capt Goh was singled out by Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew at an Istana meeting with pilots on Feb 26 for 'instigating' a leadership ouster in the Air Line Pilots Association Singapore (Alpa-S) last November.

At the meeting, he was accused of working behind the scenes, crafting a petition to oust the council, but not signing it himself.
It was revealed that prior to his moves against the union leadership, he had, in November 2002, accepted Australian PR. He bought a house in Perth, moved his wife and children and shipped his car there, and had sold his flat in Toa Payoh.

The upshot was that Capt Goh had kept secret his plans to widen his options while he moved behind the scenes to undermine industrial peace in SIA, which would also affect the interests of Singapore.

Mr Lee made the point at that meeting that if Singapore 'goes down, it is not just SIA that goes down, but you go down too'. But it was a different for PRs as they could opt out.

When The Sunday Times first contacted Capt Goh at his other property here - an apartment in Katong - a visibly troubled Capt Goh, clad in a red singlet and chequered shorts, refused to confirm that he had received the notice.

He spoke at length about his role in the ouster, defended his actions and pledged to give his side of the story to the authorities.

But he was also philosophical, saying: 'If I have to leave Singapore, I will have to leave, but I'll cross the bridge when I come to it. It is not my escape route.'

Pilots contacted yesterday were shocked at the news.

A pilot who has flown for more than 20 years, said the pilots may be looking to help Capt Goh in his appeal, but did not want to go into details, lest this jeopardises his chances.

Contacted last night, Alpa-S president Mok Hin Choon said: 'I have no comments. I don't think it is fair to add more fuel to speculation.'