PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New move for Jestar pilots
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2004, 09:31
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone check my maths for me on this but hear is some food for thought.

We fly about 800 hours per annum. Even J* may struggle to do more than that.

Based on an aircraft speed of (say) 480 knots, that's about 384,000 nautical miles per annum.

Change that to km and we're looking at about 711,168km.

Times that by the number of seats on an domestic 767 (which I think is about 30/220 but it's been about five months since I've flown one!) and you've got 177,792,000 ASKs per crew.

Now, this is where it get's interesting. Currently, a QF 767 crew (Captain and F/O combined) will earn about $150,000 per annum more than the equivalent J* crew. If we divide the $150,000 by the number of ASKs the crew fly, we'll get the price differential per ASK that we're talking about.

The answer..........................

Less than .1 of a cent per ASK. (.092 according to my calcualations!)

So, that's what all this angst is about. The company saving .09 of a cent per ASK! Note that just by switching from the B717 to the A320 they saved about .5 of a cent so the crew costs are pretty insignificant compared to cost saving elsewhere!

A couple of other little things. If we put total crew costs on a 767 at about $370,000 (that could be up to fifty grand high in my expectation but would equal a very senior F/O in the equation), then we are talking about .22 cents per ASK. So, to save less than .1 cent we are talking about 4%.

Anyway, I've created a little EXCEL program that can convert the figures for different seat numbers, crew costs and so on. Email or PM me if you'd like me to email you a copy.

Regards,