PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 7th Mar 2004, 07:47
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Oh dear oh dear...

How much time do you have..all night?

#solo xc for ppl, decided to decend to 1000' to get a better view of the scenery, nearly flew into a 1240'AGL radio tower...
#time building for CPL, got lost 5 times in one 5hr flight..talk about preflight planning
#time building for CPL approach to a non tower airport, made all the calls for 18 and was looking for a Cessna twin departing 18,
looked up and saw him coming straight at me I was final 36!
#got caught stretching daylight and ended up flying 30min in the dark without having any night experience...
#at night on final for one airport and talking to the twr of the next one 5 miles north
#pushing things weather wise and ending up diverting in stuff that the briefer called..IFR not recommended

Anyway so far for the embarrasing ups

The real scary stuff:

3 vacuum pump failures
2 attitude indicator failures
5 partial engine failures (one at night and one 300' after T/O)
6 near misses of which two were in the hands of higher powers 'cause there was nothing I could do to avoid, literally split second flashes of something going by..
Witness to two crashes..one fatal..

The scary stuff all happened in 3.5 years of flightinstruction, I'm still alive and kicking and a lot more careful than I used to be.
With instrument students I always get radar service and as soon as reasonable I file a Instr. flight plan to be sure of additional help in traffic avoidance.
Does not always help, a couple of weeks ago I was flying an airway at 6000' above a broken layer and almost ran into this clown doing aerobatics with his transponder turned to mode A only so Radar didn't bother giving me a traffic call
Anyway keep it coming...maybe we can make this thread a sticky..
no sense in making a mistake that lotsa people already made for you..