PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 6th Mar 2004, 18:26
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thief13x,

Thanks for being brave enough to post this. I don't think you're an unsafe pilot, just an inexperienced one. And honest, which is rare. And learning, which we all are.

Do the rest of us have stories like that? I certainly do. On my first flight after getting my PPL(A), I flew over the Welsh mountains from Welshpool to Caernarfon. When I set out to return, the cloud over the mountains had increased. I flew myself into what I thought was a tiny little cloud, which turned out to be a nasty big bumpy cloud. The story I've always told is that I quickly did a 180 and got out again. It's true, but I've omitted to mention the bumps, steep rate of descent, fear verging on panic, realisation that it's easy to talk about doing a 180 in cloud, but hard to do it. Eventually I got out, orbited over the coast to calm down, and flew back round the coastline, a much older and wiser pilot.

A friend who'd got his PPL around the same time, flew across those same hills, ran into cloud on the way back, and climbed above it. He ended up over an overcast, with no idea whether or not he was beyond the hills. He should have talked to someone on the radio and explained his predicament, but didn't; he decended when he thought it was safe...and luckily got away with it. He told me, but forbade me to tell anyone else!

I'm sure other pilots have similar stories to tell; whether they'll tell them or not is another matter. But we should all be able to be open, and learn from such experiences, our own and others. And one thing that your story and my friend's show is that you should never be afraid to talk on the radio. If you screw up, tell someone. You won't be the first. Being lost, in the wrong place, or not where you said you were, are not hanging offences. If you tell someone, they can help you.

Some years later, flying to Paris in a helicopter, we got lost on the Paris heli-routes. There we were, in the centre of Paris, approaching the Arc de Triomphe at 1500 ft, with no idea where we were. My radio call went like this:
"Molyneux, I'm sorry, but we're not where I just told you we were. In fact, I've no idea where we are".
"You can't say that on the radio", said my aghast co-pilot.
"I just did", I replied. "What else could I do?"

ATC gave us a sqwawk, found us, and directed us to the heliport. No problem. It happens. It's called being human.