PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 6th Mar 2004, 11:00
Thief13x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation When you almost became... "Another Statistic"

I thought i would share with everyone the times when i had a close call, I also invite anyone else who has a story to pipe up.

It was last August (2003), the second time i had ever solo'd outside the airport vacinity to the practice area 12 miles west. I was returning and flying in the direction of the airport, but five minutes over due and i was desperatly searching for it. Then, i saw it, out of nowhere it had appeared just off the right wing tip. The problem was, i had contacted the tower 10 minutes ago, and he had told me to report right downwind. Well, i was nowhere near that, i was about 5 miles to far out, and was almost set up to turn a long base. I freaked out, wrenching the yoke hard to the left, i made a split second 180 degree turn using about 65 degrees of bank, my heart pounding out of my chest, ive never been so scared in my life. In the mean time the tower thought i was going to report a right downwind, which i was overdue for by about 5 minutes already. At the moment i rolled out 180 degrees later, the tower contacted me and asked for my present location. I panicked and told them i was about five miles out still inbound. So now I was parallel to the runway going the wrong way in plain sight of the tower, not to mention i was ignoring my alititude indicator, drastically falling below TPA. At that point i applied full power, and cranked the yoke foward to hold fairly level flight. When i reached the wrong end of the runway, still going the wrong way a few minutes later, i then executed the same type of rash 180 turn to the left to finally set up for the correct right downwind. I landed uneventfully shortly thereafter, quite shookin up though.

The fifth or so time i had solo'ed in the traffic pattern, I was flying a right downwind to runway 32 (which is 7000 ft long). The tower requested that i alter my approach to land on runway 30 (which is 4500 ft and right beside 32). I accepted the tower's request, and landed long for the touch and go. Next, (I don't know what i was thinking,) but I rashly applied full power in hope of getting it off the ground before the end of the runway. I was successful, but barly cleared the trees at the end, (i actually shut my eyes for about 3 second really hard because i thought it was over). I don't really remmember talking to my flight instructor prior to that about landing on runways besides 32, but after the flight, i briefly asked him, and he said to stick to the longer runway untill we talk about runway legnths, takeoff distances, etc.

I never told him about either of these incidents, actually i have never told anyone. I just hope i'm not the only one with a story like this

I hope nobody is conceiving me as an unsafe pilot, or unfit, as i have been working on my license for almost three years off and on. I am learning to be patient, and to think before acting, and especially, to look before turning!

Thanks

T13x