PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe questions!
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2004, 10:47
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I just picked up on the previous post mentioning Geography isn't useful to a pilot.

When I were a lad all those years ago in the second half of form three (I'm showing my age now!) I dropped History and chose Geography.

Geography GCSE taught me about the eco system, rain forest, tributries, water tables etc... BUT we also had a module or two on weather systems which is VERY VERY useful to a pilot!

We learnt about air masses and frontal weather, which no where near as much detail for ATPL level certainly helped me a little for my PPL when I revived the information from the grey matter a few years after I finished school (and College / University).

If I can remember correctly I chose the following subjects:

-----
Maths, English and Science (all compulsary)

Music (so I could continue as a flautist in the ochestra)

French (the other option was Welsh which I couldn't wait to drop!)

Geography (other option was History)

Information Technology (there were numerous other options). IT was quite useful as well as we learnt about logic gates AND NOR NOT NAND etc... comes in useful for a few pages of the ATPL techs.

Typing (RSA Level 1, 2) (I wasn't going to be the next Van Gogh and I've been able to touch type since my school days at quite a fast rate so it worked, the FMS keyboard is going to take a bit of getting used to!)
-----

We did have a few other subjects such as R.E., Careers (useless teacher said I should have a more realistic option than becomming a professional pilot), Sports etc but they were not GCSE courses.

Take the advice from the others above, take the options that you feel comfortable with. If you feel you'll do better at needlework (probably not an option) rather than History then take it.

They say GCSE / A Level level knowledge of Maths and Physics helps with ATPL Ground School.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.