PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO murdered in Zurich (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2004, 02:03
Eggs Petition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, DingerX... well said!

Secondly, Luoto:

Actually what I was tying to say was that Skyguide may have been too ready to disclose information at times. Whether this was out of a wish to divert attention from the company itself or merely a clumsy press office, I would not like to say.

My view is that no personally identifying information should have been released. I would argue that a company has a duty of care towards its employees. In ATC those employees are carrying out tasks which inherently entail some degree of risk.

As has already been stated: "to err is human". However professional we strive to be, mistakes will on occaision be made.

Commercial or other pressures may also influence working practices and affect the overall system. For instance staffing levels or equipment standards determined by accountants and engineers rather than the controllers who are at the "sharp end". The possible examples are endless.

Aside from gross negligence, I believe that human or systematic error should be covered by corporate responsibilty. That is my personal view. The true legal situation may be different. Professionally I am concerned about individual controllers "carrying the can" for what should be blamed upon a company.

Like you, I do not wish to enter into a debate over the details of this particular event. The official report is due out in March. That may be a more appropriate time.

I posted on this thread after taking offence when the controllers in Zuerich were criticised by 694c and Berenger Saunier.

What happened to PN was terrible and I wish to pass on my sincere condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.