PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Best use for the R22
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2004, 01:58
MPR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the southern hemisphere is full of Robbo fans - sorry to have upset so many of you!

I will do the research - can't do hours, but I do agree that it may be a low number of crashes related to flying hours. I would suspect that the R22\Hughes 269 will be more of a comparison that the R22\Hiller. In the UK the Hiller was used extensively for lifting & crop spraying, both not comparible (in my humble opinion) to training - i.e. it's even more dangerous! (albeit with far more experienced pilots).

I haven't slated the R22 per say, I have drawn a concluson that it might be a victim of it's own success. People with enough money to buy a Ferrari or Aston or Maserati or Porsche etc.., can (and sometime do) buy R22's & fly them (in some cases) badly, resulting in accidents because those new pilots think they can treat an R22 (which is accessible to them) like a mode of transport they are used to dealing with - the car. Which is probably as far from reality as you can get.

My point was it IS personal preference, I won't fly in an R22. I don't have a PPL(H) yet through personal choice. I will embark on a PPL(H) in the next couple of years - it might well be in an R44, it might even be in a turbine.