PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Pilot Meeting
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2004, 23:18
out.of.the.blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Lounge Lizard we are still here. We have had a ton of Private Messages and just want to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond; it has been greatly appreciated.

Living in Dubai is not a concern, I am well aware of the crazy drivers, the hot summers and the bureaucracy (i.e. all the paper work you go through just to obtain a drivers license). This is not of real big concern, I definitely think that there is a lot of good things about living in Dubai. I think that part of it really comes down to a personal choice (depending on where you are coming from and what type of lifestyle you are looking for).

Our major concerns are:

Career progression, financial security & good working relations

1. First you have the DEC's and then the pilots on the accelerated course. Where does that leave guys who are just being hired as F/O's? With no sort of structure i.e. seniority list, the rules and policies can change at any time as they obviously already have. By the sounds of it being hired as a F/O with EK, you could be taking the chance that you may never see a left seat. EVER!

2. The salary was never an issue, we knew what EK was paying before we applied and that was fine. However in reading some of the posts (EK PAY) it once again leaves us with concern.

In 1992 an EK First Officer made 15500 AED
In 2004 an EK First Officer makes 16760 AED

From 1990 -2000 the General Retail Price Inflation was: 44.9%
From 1990-2002 it was 51.2% (2002 figure corrected to 1990 base)

Things in Dubai are becoming more and more expensive all the time. At the present time would be able to manage just fine on the salary, however down the road it could be a different story, if the cost of living continues to increase and the pay cheques don't. A lot to think about especially when you have a family to take care of.

3. The third issue is management, and I am only speaking for myself, as my husband is once again away flying.

If I owned a company and my management addressed the employees in the manner that apparently the EK management did last week I would FIRE their ASSES!! No matter what the situation is and whether or not the situation can be rectified, the way that management handled the meeting and spoke to the pilots in my mind is most detrimental thing that you could do to a company and morale of its people.

From the posts I have read and the fact that there has been 13,750 hits to this site in the past week I think this proves my point.

Career Progression, Financial Security & Good Working Realations..... At the end of the day is that not what we are all looking for?

Last edited by out.of.the.blue; 6th Mar 2004 at 04:22.